Cannabis Law Practice
Legalized cannabis in New York is a rapidly growing, evolving and highly-regulated industry, requiring an in-depth understanding of the regulations and how they impact our clients’ businesses and communities.
Our team of skilled and experienced government relations professionals and attorneys are at the forefront of cannabis legalization, helping clients grapple with regulations that safeguard both public safety and business enterprise. Our experience representing clients in highly regulated industries allows us to assist clients in the cannabis space as they navigate the complexities of these regulations.
Our team provides cannabis retailers, growers, distributors, processors, and investors practical and efficient advice regarding government relations, regulatory, litigation and real estate law.
The scope of our services includes:
- Political planning and advisory
- Active monitoring of policy changed at all level of government
- Lobbying services
- Community engagement and education
Regulatory & Licensing:
- Licenses to grow, process or dispense adult-use cannabis and medical cannabis
- Assessment of business and individual risks under federal and state cannabis-related laws
- Administrative matters pertaining to licensure
- Corporate Formatting and Governance
- Intellectual Property guidance including IP protection and licensing
- Contract negotiation and drafting
- Litigation and dispute resolution
Real Estate, Land Use, and Zoning:
- Guidance throughout the process of commercial leasing or acquiring space
- Assistance with land use and/or zoning applications
For more information on our cannabis practice or to discuss a venture or litigation matter, contact Cannabis Department Chair Steve Malito, at SAM@dhclegal.com — recognized as one of the top 200 global cannabis attorneys 2021/2022, click here for more information.
- ARTICLE: What You Need to Know About the Senate’s Cannabis Decriminalization Bill (Author: Jonathan McCollum)
- WEBINAR: Ignite Long Island Presents: “Cannabis Business Opportunities for L.I. Manufacturers” (Panelist/Presenter: Steve Malito)
- PODCAST: “The Grassroots Podcast” (Guest: Steve Malito)
- PODCAST: The Capitol Pressroom: “What Cannabis Lobbying Will Be Like in Governor Hochul’s Administration” (Guest: Steve Malito)
- Cheddar News: “Big Day for N.Y. Cannabis as First Retail Applications Go Live: Here’s How to Apply“ (Steve Malito interviewed)
- International Cannabis Bar Association: Nicole L. Weingartner Appointed to the ”Legislative Advisement Committee”
- Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers: Adds Steve Malito to their Ranks
- Times Union News: “What NY Can Expect from the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act?” (Steve Malito Interviewed)
Disclaimer: Using, possessing, distributing and/or selling non-hemp cannabis and cannabis-related products is illegal under federal law, regardless of certain state laws that decriminalize such activity. Businesses and individuals should be aware that compliance with state law does not assure compliance with federal law, and there is a risk that conflicting federal laws may be enforced in the future. Legal advice provided by Davidoff Hutcher & Citron LLP is designed to counsel clients regarding existing and/or proposed cannabis laws. No legal advice we give is intended to provide any guidance or assistance in violating federal law.