Jonathan McCollum is a registered lobbyist and serves as the Chair of our Federal Government Relations group in Davidoff Hutcher & Citron’s Washington, D.C. office. After college, Mr. McCollum moved to the nation’s capital to start a career in politics. He gained valuable Hill experience working under U.S. Senator Gordon Smith. His legislative responsibilities focused on energy, agriculture, natural resources, and appropriations. He assisted Senator Smith in the development and implementation of long-term legislative goals and helped identify and obtain state priorities in Appropriations Bills.
Following his time on the Hill, Mr. McCollum transitioned into the campaign world. Working for the New Hampshire Democratic Party, he managed two statewide races, a mayoral race, and over thirty municipal campaigns. His accomplishments in New Hampshire led him to become a Regional Field Director and Political Advisor to the Obama Campaign in 2007. In this role, Mr. McCollum handled media relations, managed staff, coordinated volunteer bases, organized events, and gathered political endorsements. He traveled across the country during the 2008 Presidential Primary and managed five counties for the Obama Campaign in Central and South Florida during the General Election.
Upon returning to Washington, D.C. in 2009, Mr. McCollum joined Russ Klenet & Associates, a boutique lobbying firm, and ran their Washington, D.C. operation. In representing a diverse group of clients, Jonathan gained significant experience in federal procurements, international trade, alternative energy, and education policy.
Through his relationships on the Hill and within the current Administration, Mr. McCollum successfully leads the clients of Davidoff Hutcher & Citron through complicated legislative and administrative issues.
Responsible for the development and implementation of short-term and long-term federal government affairs strategies on behalf of a diverse client base which has included Fortune 500 companies, major cultural institutions, government contractors, educational institutions, municipalities, public authorities, labor and professional organizations, non-profit corporations, and charities.
Analysis and Planning
Initiates meetings with the organization’s leadership to discuss public policy goals and vision for the future then develops government affairs strategy and roadmap based on relationships and experience. Core competencies include leading advocacy efforts with Congressional Leadership and Federal Agencies, researching issues and interpreting data; tracking legislation; developing and managing plans, initiatives, and strategies to help shape various product and issue agendas; advising clients on the public policy implications of their products and decisions; organizing delegation visits and developing and leading outreach and policy campaigns to shape the public and political dialogue.
Advocacy and Influence
Arranges and lead regular communication and meetings with Members of Congress, (agency officials, senior committee, and agency staff); represent clients at fundraisers, conferences, and other events; prepare and files reports with government offices; authors press releases and other media outreach; coordinates effective campaign donation strategies to maximize influence.
Selected Successful Outcomes
- Worked with Governor Schweitzer and the Montana Economic Development Agency on final negotiations, and secured tax credits made available by the U.S. Department of Energy, to secure financing for the largest wind farm in the State of Montana.
- Secured millions of dollars in federal funding for non-profit clients, including workforce development organizations, education programs, colleges and universities, hospitals, and health centers.
- Arranged meetings for telecom executives with the Chair and Ranking Member of the House and Senate Judiciary Committee to discuss a $26 billion merger, prepared briefing documents for company executives for committee hearings and assisted with testimony.
- Led a bipartisan lobbying effort on behalf of mid-sized and community banks to roll back certain oversight provisions on banks with assets less than $250 billion dollars. In working with Members of Congress, Associations, and Committee Staff, drafted legislation that was truly bipartisan and which passed the House and Senate by large margins.
- Led political efforts of the NY and NJ Port Authority to build the $387 million AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica Station by coordinating the Port Authority’s public outreach campaign and targeting important institutions in the neighboring communities to garner support.
- Helped to expand CarCharging Group, the largest provider of Electric Vehicle charging stations in the United States, into states and municipalities around the country, including opening up offices in New York, California, Texas, and Illinois.
Community Service and Influence
- One of six individuals in the country recruited to join the Advisory Board of the Alliance for Innovation and Infrastructure (Aii), a national educational organization dedicated to identifying the nation’s infrastructure needs, creating awareness of those needs, and developing public-private partnerships to help address the most critical transportation and infrastructure issues. (2017)
- Represent various educational organizations Pro Bono on issues related to narrowing the gap in academic achievement between low-income students and their peers, the implementation of bullying prevention programs, and the promotion of positive school culture.
- Earned a reputation as a leading lobbyist on transportation and infrastructure policy, as well as financial services, based on the representation of several of the country’s largest construction firms, engineering firms, economic development organizations, fintech companies and his work on the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
- Quoted by NBC News, Yahoo Finance LIVE, MarketWatch, and Crain’s New York Business, Fortune, The FinTech Times, among others. View information on his News Media appearances and more below.
Often courted by the news media for his insights and observations on digital currency, on September 27, 2022, Jonathan was a guest on Yahoo Finance Live. In his segment he discusses at length, important developments in Central Digital Bank Currency (CBDC), cryptocurrency regulations and Fed Chair Jerome Powell’s comments on decentralized finance infrastructure.