March 19, 2020 – Unemployment Assistance
New York State is waiving the 7-day waiting period for Unemployment Insurance benefits for people who are out of work due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) closures or quarantines. Visit the New York State Department of Labor website for more information.
· NYS DOL is implementing a new filing system based on the first letter of the applicants last name (alphabetical order). If you are filing a new unemployment insurance claim, the day you should file is based on the first letter of your last name. Visit the New York State Department of Labor website for more information.
Worker Layoffs (“WARN Notice”)
The New York State Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act requires businesses to give early warning of closing and layoffs.
· Information is available on the New York State Department of Labor website.
· The NYC Workforce Development Board can help businesses understand their reporting requirements. Individuals also can contact Chris Neale, Director of the NYC Workforce Development Board, at (212) 676-3009.
Alternative to Worker Layoffs
Shared Work is a program employees can receive partial Unemployment Insurance benefits while working reduced hours.
· Visit the New York State Department of Labor website for more information.
Access to Free Internet at Home
· Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
· To enroll, call Spectrum at 844-488-8395.
· Catholic Charities Community Services, Archdiocese of New York Helpline at 1(888)744-7900 – food resources and support for Seniors.
· Immigrant and Refugee Services – Email email@example.com or call 212-419-3700.
· New York Disaster Interfaith Services (NYDIS) – Call: 212-669-6100, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
90-Day Mortgage Relief
Today, the Governor announced the Department of Financial Services has issued a new directive to New York State mortgage servicers to provide 90-day mortgage relief to mortgage borrowers impacted by the novel coronavirus. The directive includes:
- Waiving mortgage payments based on financial hardship;
- No negative reporting to credit bureaus;
- Grace period for loan modification;
- No late payment fees or online payment fees; and
- Postponing or suspending foreclosures.
New York State Sales Tax Filing Deadline
During the governor’s daily press conference today, the state confirmed it is looking into whether a postponement of the sales tax filing deadline is needed. As many of you are aware, the deadline is currently set for tomorrow, March 20th. New York State is looking to provide an affirmative answer on this soon. We will keep you apprised of any updates we receive.