Eli Gewirtz, AICP is a zoning and land use attorney in our NYC Government Relations, Land Use and Administrative law practices and a member of the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP). An AICP certification is highly valued by governing agencies and elected officials — those who determine the fate of client’s projects — because they know the programs Eli will develop for his clients properties will promote and be aligned with core planning principles in discretionary land use actions.
At DHC, Eli is responsible for preparing and managing various land use applications on behalf of clients who are seeking discretionary approvals from various NYC agencies including:
- NYC Department of City Planning
- NYC Board of Standards and Appeals
- NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission
Eli also helps clients interpret and apply various statutes of law related to development in NYC including the NYC Zoning Resolution, Building Code, Administrative Code and the Rules of the City of the New York. He has extensive experience preparing determination forms to NYC Department of Buildings on behalf of clients who are seeking an interpretation from the DOB on a particular section of the Zoning Resolution and/or Building Code and preparing forms to NYC Department of Finance for clients seeking to merge or reapportion the tax lots on which their properties reside. Eli enjoys working closely with clients, helping them obtain the best and most productive use of their property and achieving a significantly higher return on their investment.
Prior to joining the firm, Eli worked at a regional real estate development company handling all land use and zoning matters pertaining to the company’s projects. Before that, he was an associate at a boutique land use firm based in NYC where he prepared and managed various land use applications for clients seeking discretionary approvals from NYC Department of City Planning and NYC Board of Standards and Appeals.
- Conducting feasibility studies on rezoning and development
- Preparing and presenting applications to NYC Department of City Planning and NYC Board of Standards and Appeals
- Reviewing architectural plans for compliance with NYC Zoning Resolution, NYC Building Code and NYS Multiple Dwelling Law
- Conducting research on a multitude of land use matters including interim-multiple dwellings, NYS DEC Wetland Designations, NYS Brownfield Cleanup Program, NYC LPC Designations, NYCIDA FRESH Tax Incentive Program, and removal of deed restrictions
- Reviewing and amending zoning analyses provided by client to ensure accuracy and compliance with NYC Zoning Resolution
- Drafting and submitting resolutions summarizing newly-proposed legislation, Memorandum of Understanding, LR-3 Project
- Descriptions and Statements of Facts and Findings, responses to BSA and DCP Notices of Comments and drafting Zoning Resolution Determinations and memoranda of law to NYC Department of Buildings
- Researching property records related to building ownership and occupancy
Eli earned his Juris Doctor from Brooklyn Law School, has a Master’s in Urban Planning from Hunter College Urban Policy and Planning and a B.A. in history from Yeshiva University. He is admitted to practice law in New York and New Jersey and is also a member of the NYC Bar Association and American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP).